United Way Days of Caring Volunteer Opportunities
Corporate volunteer teams are needed to share their time and talents on projects at affiliated agencies across Houston. By working at agency locations, donors are able to see for themselves how United Way is making our community stronger.
Days of Caring projects give volunteers a firsthand view of client programs provided and offer a variety of rewarding experiences. Companies work 4-5 hours to complete a project.
Listed below is a sampling of the many projects available:
- Client Interaction
- Craft projects
- Deliveries - food, plants
- Seniors - bingo, dances
- Children - mentoring, reading
- Sorting & Organizing
- Clothes at Resale shops
- Food pantries
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
United Way Computer Learning Center Opportunities
The United Way Computer Learning Center is looking for volunteer computer trainers. Trainer will lead classes on various technology topics for local area nonprofit employees/volunteers. Classes are held 9:00 - 4:00 Monday - Friday.
Experienced with any of the following software: Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, QuickBooks Pro. Previous training experience a plus but not necessary.
- Basic Computer Knowledge
- Effective Communication
For more information, email email@example.com
Other Volunteer Options:
Before you begin your search for a volunteer opportunity, take a minute to think about
Click here for more information
- Why do you want to volunteer?
- What type of volunteer experience have you had in the past?
- What issues are you really passionate about?
- What about your prior volunteer experiences did you really enjoy?
- What about your prior volunteer experiences could have been more satisfying?
- How will you assess future volunteer opportunities to ensure a positive experience?
- Do you have time to make a meaningful commitment to a nonprofit organization?
- If the organization requires an extensive training before you begin as a volunteer, would you be able to make that time commitment?
Online Resources that may be helpful:
The following is a list of organizations that can connect you with volunteer opportunities. They may offer other information resources as well. This listing should not be construed as an endorsement of these organizations but rather a resource for further investigation. These organizations are not affiliated with the United Way of Greater Houston.
Houston Cities of Service Initiative (www.houstonservice.org )
Harris County Citizens Corps (www.harriscountycitizencorps.com)
Texas Medical Center (www.texasmedicalcenter.org)
OneStar Foundation (www.onestarfoundation.org)
Center for Philanthropy and Community Service, LBJ School of Public Affairs, UT Austin