In times of disaster and every day, our 211 Texas/United Way HELPLINE is here.
For help with recovery, or anything from food to child care, dial 211 any time, day or night.
- For a list of food pantries and other food assistance, call 211 or contact the Houston Food Bank or call 832-369-9390.
- For disaster food stamp benefits, call the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP) at 1-877-541-7905.
FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency): If your area is declared a national disaster, you may qualify for financial aid. You are encouraged to apply for FEMA assistance or aid, regardless of the extent of the disaster you experienced.
People who suffered damages from storms are eligible for assistance through various programs offered by FEMA. If you are a renter, you may be eligible for a grant from FEMA to cover short-term rent assistance at a new location. The process involved in applying for FEMA may seem time-consuming. However, you may be missing an important source of financial assistance if you fail to take advantage of this opportunity.
When you apply, please have the following information available:
- Social Security number
- Current and pre-disaster address
- Telephone numbers where you can be contacted
- Insurance Information
- Total household income
- A routing and account number from your bank (only necessary if you want to have disaster assistance funds transferred directly)
Registering online is the quickest way to register for FEMA assistance since the event will last several days and the full scope of damages may not be evident until the storm has passed. If you do not have access to the internet you may register by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY). If you use 711 relay or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362 directly. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice.
- American Red Cross - 1-877-500-8645, 866-526-8300 (Local Houston Office)
- Salvation Army - 713-752-0677
- 211 Texas/United Way HELPLINE- Dial 211
- Rebuildinghouston.org helps senior, disabled and veteran homeowners in Harris County with home rebuilding efforts. Call 713.659.2511 for more information.
- Harris County Housing and Community Resource Center helps with locating emergency shelter, rental property and financial assistance. Call them at 713-696-1998.