If your annual income is $58,000 or less, get your taxes prepared for free.
Free Tax Preparation
United Way of Greater Houston supports free tax preparation through Baker Ripley's Neighborhood Tax Centers, a key component of United Way THRIVE. In the last ten years, we've helped 118,000 families claim $468.5 million in refunds. Take advantage of this service to avoid costly preparation fees and keep more of the money you earned this year.
For locations and a list of what to bring:
- Visit FreeTaxCenters.org
- Call our 2-1-1 Texas/United Way HELPLINE - just dial 2-1-1
- Download the 2019 Neighborhood Tax Centers flyer
All Neighborhood Tax Centers are open now through April 15, 2019.
Don't miss Super Tax Day at our Montgomery County United Way Center on Saturday, January 16, 2019!
For 2019, the IRS made the most significant changes to tax law in 30 years. Read more about the changes and take advantage of Neighborhood Tax Centers' free preparation to help you navigate.
More ways to save:
- If you prefer to prepare your own return, visit myfreetaxes.com.
- With United Way SAVE, you can have your taxes prepared at a Neighborhood Tax Center and then deposit $100 - $1,000 of your refund into an account at the Promise Credit Union. If you leave it in the account through the end of the year, you will receive a 25% match. You may withdraw at any time without penalty, but only the amount left in the account through the end of the year will be matched.
- Additionally, sign up for Houston Saves. When you save at least $10/month, you get $10/month back in matched funds for up to 6 months.
- Neighborhood Tax Centers can also help you apply for an ITIN (only at the BakerRipley Neighborhood Tax Center, 6500 Rookin). You can have your taxes prepared without an ITIN and visit the BakerRipley Neighborhood Tax Center to apply for an ITIN after.